Thursday, February 22, 2018

Trump: "I'm the best reader ever!"


Satire from Ted Block

AROUND THE BLOCK*

News with a Twist

Trump brought “Cliff Notes” to Parkland meeting


McMaster: Incontrovertible proof that Trump can read



President Trump took the official White House cue card into a listening session for survivors of school mass shootings organized in the wake of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting that left 17 dead.

The handwritten cues that could be seen on the card included "What would you most want me to know about your experience?" and "What can we do to help you feel safe?"

Mr. Trump has been accused of feigning compassion after photographs of the notes emerged, reinforced by the final one, “I hear you.”

In a rigorous defense of the president, General H.R. McMaster, White House national security advisor, said “the president’s cue card is incontrovertible evidence of his ability to read.”

In a tweet some say is critical of McMaster, Trump said, “H.R. forgot to say ‘I am a great reader, maybe the best reader ever!”



*Note to readers: As many of you know, ‘Around the Block’ has been missing in action for several months. This is due to a combination of some personal issues that have taken up more time and effort than I expected and, more importantly, the fact that I’ve found it difficult satirizing and making fun of the current miserable state of our affairs. When I watch people like Samantha Bee and John Oliver, or read Andy Borowitz, and my takeaway is that their satire, their comedy, seems forced and frankly not particularly funny, I question my own modest efforts. I can’t say yet if this post is a tip-toe back and there will be more to come. But keep watching this space.

BTW, my last post in November was entitled ‘Kelly: "Adult in the room or Mini-me."’ Now, wasn’t that prescient?






No comments: