Friday, July 19, 2019

Palm Beach GOP to The Mooch: "You're Fired"



AROUND THE BLOCK

I learned…


I learned some news today, courtesy of the Palm Beach Post, that should be interesting to all my readers, but particularly to my dear fellow Palm Beach County neighbors and Republicans. (Wow, that came out wrong – what I meant to say was my “fellow Palm Beach County neighbors including those who happen to be Republicans"). In any event…

According to the Post, the Palm Beach County Republican Committee has disinvited Anthony Scaramucci from its annual Lobsterfest fundraiser in response to the former White House communications director’s tweet calling President Trump’s attack on progressive congresswomen of color “racist and unacceptable.”

The Post reported that Michael Barnett, chairman of the Republican Party of Palm Beach County, sent an email to Scaramucci disinviting him. “He emailed me back saying he would take the event off his schedule,” Barnett said. 

In response to Trump’s tweets about the four Congresswomen, now referred to as “The Squad,” Scaramucci tweeted, “Would              @RealDonaldTrump ever tell a white immigrant — whether 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th+ generation — to ‘go back to your country’? No. That’s why the comments were racist and unacceptable. America is a nation of immigrants founded on the ideals of free thought and free speech.”

Barnett said that he immediately moved to cancel Scaramucci but decided to meet with his board before taking any action. The board agreed with Barnett and “The Mooch” was disinvited.

“I’ve gotten nothing but positive feedback that we did the right thing by disinviting him,” Barnett said.

Of course, the real question is this: is the most egregious part of this story Scaramucci’s disinvitation, or the fact that Barnett received “nothing but positive feedback” from his GOP cronies?

Ever the counter-puncher, The Mooch got the last tweet:

“Moving in the right direction ... Fellow Republicans be honest! Palm Beach GOP I am going to miss you guys! I will be eating lobster on the 15th out in the Hamptons without you!”

But sorry, Charlie...er Tony..., your “moving in the right direction” comment is actually moving in the wrong direction

Scaramucci’s tweet was apparently in reference to Trump’s comments to reporters following the uproar over his attacks on The Squad in which he not only took no responsibly for the chants which his tweets precipitated, but also claimed he tried to stop the chanting by quickly resuming his speech.

“I was not happy with it. I disagree with it. ... I think I did [try to stop the chant]. I started speaking very quickly.”

In the easiest fact-check in the history of the Trump era, you be the judge:





No comments: